Join us for this convenient online CE webinar!
Tuesday, November 18, 2014
3 to 4:30 PM
Access instructions provided upon registration
Bhavik Shah and Farnaz Foolad
(717) 234-6151 x. 4
Online registration is closed.
« Go to Upcoming Event List
Title: The ABCs on ESBLs and CREs: A Pharmacist's Primer on Multi-Drug Resistant Gram-Negative Organisms
Join us for this encore presentation of a continuing education program presented at PPA's 2014 Mid-Year Conference!
Multi-drug resistant organisms are becoming more common, especially the "superbugs" of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase producing organisms and carbapenem-resistent Enterobacteriaceae. This program will comprehensively discuss resistant gram-negative organisms from microbiology to treatment.
Speakers: Bhavik Shah, PharmD, Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Thomas Jefferson University Jefferson School of Pharmacy
Farnaz Foolad, PharmD, PGY-1 Pharmacy Practice Resident, University of Illinois-Chicago
Target Audience: All pharmacists, especially those working in a health-system setting
CE Credit: 1.5 Contact Hours (0.15 CEUs)
At the completion of this activity, the participant will be able to:
1. Identify risk factors for multi-drug resistant extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL) and carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) infections, and summarize current epidemiological trends.
2. Describe the mechanism and spectrum of resistance for gram-negative bacteria that produce ESBL and CRE enzymes.
3. Interpret antibiotic susceptibility panels to classify organisms as either ESBL or CRE producers by recognizing their spectrum of drug resistance.
4. Assess the current literature for the treatment of ESBL and CRE infections and evaluate potential treatment options.
5. Given a patient case, differentiate between possible ESBL and CRE infections, and design an appropriate antimicrobial treatment plan.
Schedule: 2:55 to 3:00 PM - Attendees log in
3:00 to 4:30 PM - CE Program
Activity Type: Application-based
Cost: PPA Members - Free
Non-Members - $20
Requirements to receive credit:
Participants must attend the entire program and complete an online
evaluation survey within one week. PPA must have your CPE Monitor ID
and birthday on file to issue credit.
*NOTE: Participants who received credit for this program at the PPA Mid-Year Conference are not eligible to receive credit a second time.
Use the link above to register for this program.
Required: Windows® 7, Vista, XP or 2003 Server
Required: Mac OS® X 10.6 or newer
Required: iPhone®*, iPad®*, Android™ phone or Android tablet
*iPad® and iPhone® users may not have access to all interactive capabilities but may still attend the webinar.
Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association is accredited by the Accreditation
Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy