Directions to the PPA Office
508 North Third Street, Harrisburg, PA 17101
If at any time in your travels you become disoriented and are unsure of how to get here, please call (safely!) and we would be happy to guide you. (717) 234-6151.
For a Google Map to our office please click here.
From the Pennsylvania Turnpike- traveling from the East
1) Take the Harrisburg East Exit, exit # 247
2) After paying the toll proceed straight ahead, you will be on I-283 north. Follow signs to I-83 South.
3) Approximately 2 ½ miles down the road, you will come to a split. Be in the left lane to get onto I-83 South.
4) Stay on I-83 South and take the Second Street/State Capitol Exit 43.
5) As you come off the exit ramp, follow the road until you come to the light.
6) Proceed through the light and bear to your left onto Second Street (this is one way - you can't go right).
7) Stay on Second Street for several blocks and through several traffic lights.
8) Turn right onto State Street (there is a grass median).
9) Continue on State Street until the street ends and you come to the Capitol Building.
10) Turn left onto Third Street.
11) The PPA Office is on the left just after Sammy's Italian Restaurant.
From the Pennsylvania Turnpike- traveling from the West
*If traveling from the West on the turnpike, you can use the directions above; however, it is closer to exit off the Carlisle exit (#226) of the turnpike. It is slightly more direct and eliminates some backtracking. Directions for this are as follows.
1) After proceeding though toll gate, bear to the left following signs for Rt. 11 North and I-81.
2) Go about one mile through several traffic lights and a heavy truck area (lots of truck stops and truck depots).
3) Watch for signs for I-81 North and bear right onto the entrance ramp for I-81 North.
4) Once on I-81, go several miles to exit signs for Rt. 581 East and exit right to 581 East.
5) Remain on 581 East to Harrisburg. (Do not take any exits from this highway until you are crossing the bridge.)
6) As you cross the river, move into the right lane and take the Second Street Exit, which is immediately across the bridge on the right.
7) As you come off the exit ramp, follow the road until you come to the light.
8) Proceed through the light and bear to your left onto Second Street (this is one way - you can't go right).
9) Stay on Second Street for several blocks and through several traffic lights.
10) Turn right onto State Street (there is a grass median).
11) Continue on State Street until the street ends and you come to the Capitol Building.
12) Turn left onto Third Street.
13) The PPA Office is on the left just after Sammy's Italian Restaurant.
Please note - it is also possible to exit at two other exits (Gettysburg Pike - #236 or Harrisburg West - #242) and we can provide directions from those if desired.
From the North and Northeastern part of the State
1) Take I-78 from the NE to I-81 or if just traveling I-81, follow it through merger with I-78 and continue on I-81.2) Take the Front Street Exit, Harrisburg.
3) When the Exit splits into North and South Front, take the South ramp.
4) Follow Front Street for several miles, going through 1 traffic light.
5) At the second traffic light, which is Forester Street, turn left.
6) Go to the third light and make a right onto Third Street.
7) Go through one light, and PPA will be on the right just before State Street. (One building before Sammy’s Italian Restaurant).
*Please note the City of Harrisburg has recently made changes to parking. It is important to note that the City of Harrisburg is serious about enforcing the time limit on parking meters and will issue tickets. The new parking meters accept payment in cash, coin or credit card form and are located in each block not by parking spaces. A parking ticket is $30; $50 is not paid within four days.
If you prefer metered parking:
Central Business District includes the area bordered by Front Street, Market Street, Fisher Plaza and Forster Street (generally the area around the Capital Complex and the downtown shopping area). Meters in the Central Business District are $.75 for 15 minutes or $3.00 per hour.
Metered enforcement will be from 8AM – 7PM Monday through Saturday. Meters will not be operated on Sundays and Holidays.
For metered parking follow these instructions:
1) From I-83 or I-81, turn onto State Street. (You should now be on a street with parking stations and also be facing the Capitol Building).
2) Your best bet is to grab a space on State Street. On this street, there are actually parking stations where you enter your license plate number and input money.
3) State Street then intersects with Third Street in front of the Capitol.
4) When facing the Capitol, turn left onto Third Street.
5) The PPA building is a few buildings in, at 508 North Third Street.
6) Ring buzzer to gain entrance to our building.
If you prefer garage parking:
Rates are generally: $4 for 30 minutes or less; $9 for 2 hours or less; $12 for 4 hours or less; and $20 for 24 hours or less.
- The closest garage is the South Street Garage. It is about 2 blocks
away. You can access this garage by turning right off of State Street and
continuing south on Third Street for one block to South Street, then turn
right. Also watch for HPA signs (Harrisburg Parking Authority) which will
point to this.
- The next closest garage is the Locust Street Garage which is approximately
four blocks away. You can access the garage in two ways.
Street, turn right onto Third Street and go down a few blocks to Walnut
Street and turn right, go one block and turn right onto Second Street. Go one
block and turn right onto Locust Street, you will see a parking garage on the
left. Park there and then walk up to Third Street, turn right and walk several
blocks to PPA’s office.
also turn right onto Locust Street from Second Street before ever reaching
State Street. Locust Street will actually be your fourth traffic light after
getting on Second Street from I-83.
There is also an open lot option.
The open lot is on Third Street between Locust Street and Pine Street and
is accessed by an alley. The fees are comparable to the city
garages. This open lot is a little closer than the Locust Street Garage,
but just a little farther than South Street Garage. There are also a few other
garages but all are a little farther away. Pricing for all garages and lots is
Listed Below is the Contact Information for Park Harrisburg:
223 Walnut Street
Harrisburg PA 17101
Hours: 09:00 - 4:00 Mon - Fri